Thursday, April 3, 2008

I made it in and need to figure out how to post.

Since I haven't posted to blogs before I thought I'd better go in and give it a try.

On to the movie topic, I think both ideas could work pretty well. I'm going to point out things that may be obvious but are important to keep in mind for each of them.
  • The Dude v. Yeti would require clever conflicts between the two that wouldn't actually harm them, but probably no dialog at all. For those things to be really funny they need to be precise (to really be funny and to avoid injury), that can take a lot of rehearsal time. Plus Dude and Yeti would both have to agree to be in it.
  • The spaceship/AI one requires very solid writing, but wouldn't require the same precision of execution. It depends a lot more on the charisma of actors and the script being funny.

That's my half a cent for now.
Who's the BADDEST!!

8 comments:

the_neal said...

So just a question about the spaceship. Any thoughts on the look you want for it? I'm thinking probably kind of dark and grungy, not the slick U.S.S. Enterprise look.

Any ideas for a storyline yet? If we do the Red Dwarf thing, I did have one idea that I could throw out to start some brainstorming.

Jaysan said...

not star trek, but not trashed.

Don't know if we are for sure on the space thing yet. But looks like we are going that way, so spill away.

The Sexy Blonde said...

Shonuff -- why would they have to physically confront each other? Seems like a terrible restiction on the whole creative process to me, what with leaving out the witty dialog and all, if only action scenes are in the mix.

Yes, we do need them both to agree to be in it, but minions are good characters, too, so their screen time could be limited if needed.

Imagine Dude laughing manically sitting infront of his computer. Yeti looking determined to stop him, but being confounded in his efforts because for some reason his credit card won't work so he can't put gas in truck. Who could have possibly stolen Yeti's identity?!? Show Dude grinning wickedly. Switch to a stock footage shot of the trebbie hucking a rock and then to Dude shaking his head and a shot of his computer with a big rock sitting on top of it. Now Yeti looking triumphant.

Start small work toward big is my thought. We can do fight scenes later when we have the tech side down.

Kashka said...

I have a thought on the space one, kind of a Twilight Zone/MST3K slant:

So, guy's out on his spaceship, alone. It's deep space, so he has a sort of "handler" back in civilization that he talks to on a regular basis so he can prove that he hasn't picked up the space-crazy.

Now, when he was sent out there, one of the bosses pulls him aside and says, "Now, here's how you deal with these handlers, because they're all bureaucratic jerkwads: 1. Always seem like you're busy doing some other paperwork when you talk to them, because if you don't, they'll think you don't have enough to do. 2. Always ask them how they're doing and seem really interested, which shows that you're not isolating yourself. And finally, never, never, never, ask when you're going to get to come home, because that's a one-way ticket to garage trawler duty."

So we see the guy interact with his handler, and the handler does seem like a bit of a dink, but they bond some, but eventually realize that the "handler" isn't back in civilization at all -- it's another deep space person who thinks that our guy is their handler, and TPTB just pair these people up so that they don't have to deal with them while they're out there.

Although, as someone who bought MAD like it was some sort of crack in the late '80s, I can see Dude v. Yeti being pretty cool too, so I'll do some thinking about that too.

Jaysan said...

we could do bolth....

Kashka said...

Jay -- would you set up tags, one for "Space", and one for "DvY", if we want to do sort-of parallel development? So we can segment it a little.

And yes, I will eventually be setting up Excel spreadsheets for this, because that's what I do.

Anonymous said...

EXCEL SPREADSHEETS? I LOVE EXCEL!

I, also, do Excel.

Mmmm....VLOOKUP.....

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Can I just say I love both TSB's ideas there and Kashka's "handler" story. Way cool, both of 'em!

So therefore I second the parallel develoment idea.